Monday, June 17, 2013

Dr. Jart Melting Cream


This is a very unique product by Dr. Jart+ that is meant to soothe, brighten, and moisturize. Along with being generally intrigued by the formulation, I've found a lot of Dr. Jart+ products that have worked for me, so I knew I wanted to give this a try. I have normal-to-dry skin and used this product mainly as a night cream.

Obviously, the most unique aspect about this product is the texture. It's described as being sorbet-like, but it reminds me of the inside of a truffle.The jar comes with a little spatula to scoop out the product. It's suggested that you scoop out the product and warm it in your hands before applying it to your face. I don't think warming it in your hands is necessary; it's not hard like coconut oil. I just dot it around my face and smooth it out, so I don't waste any product, which brings me to me next point...

 The jar only has 0.88 oz of product. I'm typically disappointed when moisturizers are 1.0 oz rather than 1.7 oz, so this is a new level for me. It almost discouraged me from buying the product entirely; however, I've had this since late April and am a little over half way through. If you are using the product as intended, you shouldn't be running out unreasonably quickly. It doesn't have the consistency of a normal moisturizer, so it's not really comparable. But, like I said, I wouldn't warm it in my hands, because it is very quick to absorb, so you will lose product. I will also add, that I do not bring this down onto my neck at night  (I like to use something a little thicker) so I save a little product there.

 As far as the actual performance goes, I think it lives up to most of its claims. I've been using this mostly at night. It's definitely on the lighter side (for a night cream), which is great for summer, but I don't know if it'd be enough for me in the winter time. Since it is so fast absorbing, it doesn't really lock-in moisture; however, it is immediately soothing. I've found that this does work well under sleep masks, if you get occasional dry spots.           

One thing that initially put me off about this product is that it does have some subtle iridescent shimmers. They are barely noticeable in the jar and undetectable on the skin; however, I was weary that the brightening claim might only be cosmetic and not actually improve the appearance of my skin. I've noticed that some of my older hyperpigmentation marks have faded, but nothing dramatic, so I'm still not quite sure if I'm being tricked. When I think of this product as a day cream, the idea of a more radiant finish doesn't bother me. If this had SPF in it, I think it would work great in the daytime, because the additional glow combined with its smoothness and absorbability would make it great under makeup (mostly for dry or mature skin).

Overall, this is something I would consider repurchasing for the warmer months. For night creams, I tend to go for products that are simply soothing and moisturizing, and I leave treatments for serums and masks, so the fact that I didn't find this to be a potent brightener didn't bother me; however, it might be a deal-breaker for some. Again, if you're looking for something soothing and fast-absorbing, I would definitely recommend this. I think this would work great on sensitive skin if that's a concern for you. If you are on the fence because of the jar size, I would say go ahead and get it- it's more product than it seems.

You can find this product at sephora.com where it retails for $38.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jenny,

    Thanks for your review! Do you know where I can find the full list of ingredients?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!

    I wish I could help, but I no longer have the packaging, and I'm only seeing the active ingredients online. If you live near a Sephora (or another retailer) maybe you could check there. I know with some smaller products they might not be listed directly on the packaging but may be in a little booklet inside.

    ReplyDelete